Today is National French Fry Day! Yes, I know I’m going a little overboard with these food holidays, but they are quite fun for inspiration. To match the occasion, we’re posting some “traditional” sweet potato fries with a truly homemade curry spiced aioli – right down to the fragrant spice mix.
For some other fun French fry-inspired recipes, enjoy these baked options (all vegan, gluten-free and allergy-friendly):
- Oven-Baked Zucchini Fries
- Coconut-Baked Eggplant Fries
- Homemade Oven Potato Chips
- Orange-Zested Carrot Fries
Special Diet Notes: Sweet Potato Fries w/ Curry Aioli
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegetarian, and paleo.
For egg-free and vegan option, skip the homemade aioli, and enjoy the spice mix with your favorite vegan mayonnaise. It will still be a flavorful way to enjoy these sweet potato fries, not to mention a quick and easy aioli shortcut.
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon curry
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon granulated or powdered garlic
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 pounds yams
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Stir together all spice mix ingredients in a small bowl.
- Drop garlic cloves into a blender or food processor with the motor running. Add egg yolks and lemon juice and process briefly. Add oil in a slow, steady stream until mixture becomes thick and creamy. Stir in 2 teaspoons of spice mix and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- To prepare fries, peel potatoes and cut into long ¼- to ½-inch-thick strips; place in a large bowl of ice water to keep from browning. Remove a handful at a time and pat very dry between paper towels.
- Drop into 1 inch of hot oil (oil is hot enough when a few drops of water added start to pop) and cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Drain well on paper towels and repeat with remaining potatoes. (Keep warm in a 300°F oven.)
- Place in a large bowl and toss with remaining sea salt and spice mixture. Serve immediately with aioli.