Candice Kumai is a rising star in the celebrity health circuit, and she has a new book out called Kintsugi Wellness: The Japanese Art of Nourishing Mind, Body, and Spirit. Candice does use cheese and butter in some of her recipes, but most of her creations are dairy-free, many are vegan, and almost all are surprisingly simple. Take this sweet potato peach smoothie recipe for example. It’s unique, healthy, and plant-based, but it uses easy to find ingredients. And I love the way she merges the nutrition of different seasons.
Kintsugi Wellness is a reflection on Candice’s Japanese heritage and journey to health. In it, she “guides us us through her favorite Japanese traditions and practices for cultivating inner strength and living a gracious life.” Dozens of healthy recipes are weaved throughout this thoughtful book to help us “reclaim the art of living well.”
But whether you decide to pick up a copy of her book or not, I suggest you start on that wellness journey with her sweet potato peach smoothie recipe. I did make one very minor change to her formula. Candice uses almond milk beverage specifically, but I left it at “milk beverage” for nut-free needs. You can use whatever type of unsweetened milk beverage suits your diet best.
This recipe with photo was shared with us by Natures Intent Vinegars.
Special Diet Notes: Sweet Potato Peach Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, plant-based, and paleo.
For a vegan sweet potato peach smoothie, you can substitute 1 to 2 tablespoons of your favorite vegan protein powder for the collagen.
- 3 cups sweet, ripe, frozen sliced peaches
- 2½ cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ¾ cup cooked sweet potato puree
- ½ very ripe frozen banana, broken into chunks
- 1 scoop collagen powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar, to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Put the peaches, milk beverage, sweet potato puree, banana, collagen powder, vinegar, ginger, and cinnamon in your blender. Blend until smooth.
- Divide the smoothie between two glasses to serve.