For many people, pumpkin cravings set in when those jack o’lanterns first begin to appear, but for me, it isn’t until after Halloween that I catch the pumpkin bug. In my book, November 1st is the “official” beginning to the holiday season and if there was one food that I would equate to the holidays, it would be dairy-free pumpkin bread.
Sweet Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread Made with Olive Oil
Every year my mom churned out dozens of mini pumpkin loaves to gift to friends and family. Our house (and freezer) were always filled with these little sweet bundles. Nonetheless, I do not have a classic dairy-free pumpkin bread recipe that I rely on year after year. Instead, I jump around testing whichever recipe catches my eye.
One version that I baked so many years ago was this olive oil pumpkin bread from Olive Oil Desserts by Micki Sannar. This recipe is made without any dairy alternatives – just water and olive oil. Yet, it’s perfectly moist, rich with seamless flavor, and tastes as delicious as my mom’s recipe. Which is why I’m giving this sweet dairy-free pumpkin bread recipe a big update this year!
Special Diet Notes: Sweet Dairy-Free Pumpkin Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 4 eggs
- ⅔ cup pure olive oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup water
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Spray three 7x3-inch loaf pans bread pans with olive oil cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix together pumpkin puree, eggs, olive oil, molasses, vanilla water, and sugars until well blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and ginger.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until just blended. Pour into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 50 minutes in the preheated oven. Loaves are done when toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.