When your taste buds can’t settle on just one flavor, a fusion dish is the solution. These sweet & spicy cauliflower bites combine the culinary traditions of Korean and Chinese cuisine for a delicious side dish. For a full meal, don’t be afraid to toss in cooked chicken or tofu (for vegan) and some some lightly-sauteed bell peppers. They pair perfectly with this boldly flavored sauce.
This Sweet & Spicy Cauliflower Bites recipe with photo was shared with us by HollandHouseFlavors.com.
Special Diet Notes: Sweet & Spicy Cauliflower Bites
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 6 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup sherry cooking wine
- ¼ cup honey (can sub agave nectar for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons non-GMO cornstarch (can sub arrowroot starch)
- 2 tablespoons high-heat oil
- 1 small fresh yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon Korean-style chili flakes (can sub Aleppo pepper or 1 teaspoon regular crushed red pepper flakes)
- ¼ cup chopped fresh green onions
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- In a large bowl, toss the cauliflower, sesame oil, and salt until well coated. Arrange the florets on a non-stick baking sheet (or line it with a silicone baking mat.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden brown and tender.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the cooking wine, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, and starch until the starch and sweetener have dissolved.
- Heat the high-heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the yellow onions and garlic and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the chili flakes and wine mixture.
- Return the pan to stove and reduce the heat to medium. Bring the sauce to a simmer, stirring constantly. Continue to cook and stir for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened.
- Add the cooked cauliflower to the sauce and stir gently to coat.
- Transfer the cauliflower with sauce to a serving dish. Top with the green onions and sesame seeds.