You may have seen our feature a few weeks ago about a little company called Peas of Mind. The founder, Jill Litwin, is an amazing food creator. Her culinary innovation has led to the company’s two product lines, Puffets and Veggie Wedgies, but what many don’t know is that Jill has a great collection of recipes which she frequently adds to the Peas of Mind website. Not all of Jill’s recipes are dairy-free, but many are, and some are quite easy to adapt to a milk-free lifestyle. One recipe in particular that caught my eye was for Baked Sweet Potato Donuts.
These breakfast treats are virtually fat-free, and they are perfect for using up any leftover sweet potatoes from the holidays. It’s also perfect for those with multiple food allergies or sensitivities!
Special Diet Notes: Baked Sweet Potato Donuts
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1¾ cup flour
- ½ of one large sweet potato (peeled, cut, boiled and mashed)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup regular sugar
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoon melted dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium bowl, mix the mashed sweet potato and applesauce together until combined.
- Using a stand-up mixer, and a paddle attachment, mix together all dry ingredients.
- Then add the sweet potato and applesauce mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Mix on low for 10 seconds and then move to high for about 30 – 45 seconds or until all ingredients are combined to form a dough. The dough will be slightly sticky.
- Prepare a well-floured surface.
- Gently, kneed the dough a couple of times to incorporate a bit more flour.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to about a ½ inch thickness.
- Use two round cookie cutters, (one large, one small) to form the donut shape.
- Gently place uncooked donuts onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6-9 minutes (Do not over cook.)
- For the Cinnamon Sugar Sprinkle, combine the cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl. When donuts are out of oven brush each with melted margarine and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.