This sinful vegan peanut butter blondies recipe was shared with us by the lovely authors of Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar, Isa Chandra Moskowitz and Terry Hope Romero, in honor of the Worldwide Vegan Bake Sale. I have been told that it is a sure-fire sell-out at bake sales, and perhaps you could even get some extra chores in payment from your family for whipping up a batch of these sweet gems.
Since the recipe was so simple (as Isa states, “they’re easy enough for the beginner bake saler”), and used ingredients I have on hand everyday, I gave these Peanut Butter Blondies a whirl for a potluck party I attended a couple of weeks ago.
I did have some performance issues since I live at high altitude (6500 ft). The results should be spot on for most people, but If you live at high altitude then you know cookies and cookie bars can be tricky. I recommend reducing the oil in the recipe just a bit and/or increasing the flour a little. Fortunately, they taste insanely good no matter what – so I simply cut them into fudge-sized bites to keep them cohesive, and the entire batch was gone (crumbs and all) just fifteen minutes after I arrived at the party!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Peanut Butter Blondies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter (a natural no stir variety)
- ⅓ cup vegetable or grapeseed oil
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup non-dairy milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a metal 8×8 baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, use a fork to vigorously mix together peanut butter, oil and sugar.
- Stir in milk and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, salt and baking powder.
- Once you get the flour somewhat mixed in, it’s easier to just use your hands to knead the dough until soft. It will be very very thick and won’t spread on its own.
- Transfer to baking pan and press it into place.
- Sprinkle on the peanuts and lightly press them into the top.
- Bake for 22 to 25 minutes, the edges should be just barely coloring. The top will appear soft, that’s okay.
- Remove from oven and cool completely before slicing.