Special Diet Notes: Taco Steak Salad Recipe
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
For vegetarian / vegan: omit the steak or replace with black beans.
Taco Steak Salad w/ Ginger Lime Dressing
This wonderful dinner salad was created and photographed by Elena Rosemond at Fit Fare.
Author: Elena Rosemond
Serves: 2 servings
- ½ jalapeño*
- ½ red onion
- 1 cucumber, peeled
- 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 4 ounces lean steak
- 4 tablespoon fresh cilantro
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ lime, peeled
- 1 tablespoon chipotle chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 garlic clove
- Tortilla chips, to garnish
For the dressing:
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt & pepper
- Begin by mincing your garlic for the rub. Mix it with the chipotle, cayenne, cinnamon, and some s&p. Rub each side of your steak, and let it sit for 15 minutes or so. Cook steak for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- While your steak is cooking, dice jalapeño, cilantro, avocado, cucumber, and onion. Toss these ingredients together with the lime juice. This is your salsa.
- When your steak has cooked to a good medium rare, remove it from heat and chunk it. Then, return it to the pan and sauté for an additional 3 minutes.
- To make your dressing, finely chop garlic and ginger, and mix with remaining ingredients. It’s totally fine to whisk by hand, but if you like a smoother, more incorporated dressing you can also blend it in the food processor.
- To serve, place 2 cups mixed greens on each dish. Top with salsa, steak, and then the fresh limes. Drizzle dressing over, garnish with tortilla chips, and serve.
*How much jalapeño to use really depends on the season. In winter, when jalapeños are more mild, you can use a whole pepper. However, as the weather warms, scale back the amount of jalapeño in the dish so that it’s STRONG flavor doesn’t overwhelm the rest of the salsa.
Pingback: Delicious Dairy Free Dinner | The Velvet Hand Behind the Throne