The original recipe for this tangerine beef stir-fry was created by Executive Chef Justin Timineri, Ambassador to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. The photo was provided by the Fresh From Florida Kids Program.
This is a fun and tasty recipe that kids can help to make. Let them mix the ingredients for the tangerine beef and make the sauce. Older kids can help to slice with supervision.
- 1-1/2 pounds beef, sliced thin
- 1 bunch green onions / scallions, sliced
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 sweet red bell pepper, sliced thin
- The zest and juice of 1 Florida tangerine
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or coconut oil
- 2 Florida tangerines, peeled and sectioned
- 3 to 4 cups cooked brown rice
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the beef, scallions, ginger, bell peppers, tangerine zest and cornstarch. Mix the ingredients well to coat the beef.
- Preheat a large sauté pan over medium high heat.
- In small mixing bowl combine the tangerine juice, soy sauce, and sweetener. Stir the ingredients until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the vegetable oil to your preheated sauté pan. Carefully add the beef mixture to pan. Cook while stirring constantly until the beef is browned and slightly crispy.
- Add the soy sauce mixture and cook until the sauce is thickened.
- Toss in the fresh tangerine segments and serve over brown rice.