This recipe for dairy-free cream of corn soup is a “15 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Marisa Raponi. For the cream base, she uses a combination of light almond milk and rich culinary coconut milk from So Delicious.
Marisa says, “This dairy-free cream of corn soup is sooo great for our weather here! Corn is the only vegetable my kids don’t argue with me about eating. The soup has a tiny kick with the chili powder in it.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Dairy-Free Cream of Corn Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. For a tree nut-free and dairy-free cream of corn soup, So Delicious offers Coconut Milk Beverage that can be used seamlessly in place of the Almond Milk.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons corn flour
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy-Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk
- 3 cup frozen corn
- 398ml can cream-style corn (most brands are dairy free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a medium pot preheated over medium-high heat, add oil and sauté onion, chili powder, bay leaf and parsley for 1 minute.
- Add corn flour, stir to cook for a few seconds. Slowly pour in the almond milk, whisking to thicken slightly.
- Add vegetable broth, coconut milk, frozen corn and canned corn. Bring to a boil. Skim off any foam.
- Lower the heat to medium, to a strong simmer and cook for another 5 min. Puree ½ of the corn to thicken the soup. Then pour it back into the pot.
- Season with salt and pepper.