This recipe for winter soup is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Fiona Verdon. For the soup base, she uses Culinary Coconut Milk from So Delicious.
Fiona says, “This is the perfect soup for these cold winter days. It hits the spot every time! I love the depth of the flavors, it really tantalizes my taste buds. Also this Thai winter soup has the huge added bonus of being one of the few things most people can still enjoy while they’re sick, with extra healing benefits as well! One of my favorite ethnic dishes for certain!”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Thai Coconut Winter Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free. It’s optionally soy-free, with the use of fish sauce.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 fresh torn kaffir lime leaves
- 2 small Thai chiles, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 piece fresh ginger
- 1 stalk lemongrass
- 1 cup diced white meat cooked chicken
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk
- Handful of mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons Thai fish sauce or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice with agave
- Juice of 4 limes
- Salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro leaves
- Boil the stock then add the lime leaves, chiles, garlic, ginger and lemongrass.
- Lower the heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pot and stir in the chicken, coconut milk, mushrooms, fish sauce, lemon and lime juice. Simmer. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour into bowls and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!