This recipe for pineapple coconut pie is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Naylet LaRochelle. For the filling, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Pineapple Coconut Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just be sure to use a dairy-free, soy-free margarine (Earth Balance offers a couple).
For gluten-free and dairy-free pineapple coconut pie, use gluten-free graham crackers – I recommend Kinnikinnick.
- 1-1/2 cups finely ground graham crackers
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, melted
- ⅓ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup chopped lightly salted macadamia nuts
- 1 ripe pineapple, peeled, cored, chopped
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy margarine, melted
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage, divided
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¾ teaspoon rum extract
- Coconut flakes, toasted
- Macadamia nuts, lightly salted, toasted
- So Delicious Passionate Mango Dairy-Free Frozen Dessert, if desired*
- In a large bowl, add ground graham crumbs, sugar, non-dairy margarine, and coconut flakes.
- Mix with a fork until well combined.
- Press graham cracker mixture onto bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle macadamia nuts onto bottom of crust.
- Bake at 350ºF for 8-12 minutes, or until edges begin to brown lightly.
- Let cool to room temperature before adding filling.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF.
- Arrange pineapple on a large, rimmed baking sheet.
- Stir together the non-dairy margarine and light brown sugar. Brush over pineapple slices.
- Bake, turning once, 25-35 minutes, or until pineapple slices begin to brown slightly and caramelize.
- Remove from oven. Let cool while preparing filling.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over ½ cup coconut milk. Let sit for 5 minutes. Microwave for 15-20 seconds, or until gelatin is dissolved. Stir to mix well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, add remaining ½ cup coconut milk, sugar, rum extract, and coconut-milk gelatin mixture.
- Dice pineapples. Add roasted pineapple to coconut filling; stir until well combined.
- Pour filling into crust lined pie plate.
- Refrigerate 5-6 hours or until completely set.
- When ready to serve, top pie with coconut flakes and macadamia nuts.