Green beans are an iconic holiday side dish, yet this legume isn’t technically in season until spring. Enter the magic of canned green beans. Sure, you can make these almond green beans with fresh, but when unavailable, you can still enjoy this festive recipe.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Almond Green Beans
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, and tree nut-free. For gluten-free and vegan, look for a Worcestershire such as Wizard’s. They have an organic vegan option and a gluten-free and vegan option.
- ¾ cup (3 ounces) slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free margarine, divided (can sub olive oil, if desired)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) cut green beans, drained (or 1-1/2 lbs cooked green beans)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the almonds and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, or until golden (watch carefully to ensure that they don't burn). Add 2 tablespoons of the margarine margarine, Worcestershire, lemon juice and cumin. Cook until the margarine has melted, stirring constantly. Remove the almonds to a plate.
- Melt the remaining margarine in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beans, and cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle almond mixture over beans. Toss and let stand 5 minutes before serving.