This kale pinwheels recipe was shared with us by Meatout Mondays. They adapted it from VegHawaii. It’s a tortilla pinwheel snack that’s high in dairy-free minerals, and is quite versatile. You can add other vegetables (like roasted red pepper) or protein (like baked tofu). You can also swap the mustard with your favorite dairy-free cream cheese alternative, cashew “cheese”, or hummus.
Photo from the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii.
Special Diet Notes: Kale Pinwheels
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free kale pinwheels, use your favorite gluten-free or grain-free tortillas. These days gluten-free tortillas go far beyond corn. You can now find Cassava Tortillas, Chickpea Tortillas, Almond Flour Tortillas, Sweet Potato Tortillas, Quinoa Tortillas, and Coconut Wraps (in all types of flavors).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large bunch kale, ribs removed
- 1 red onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 package whole wheat tortillas
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Dijon or brown mustard
- Peel kale leaves away from stem with a knife or by hand.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. Add the kale, onion, and garlic, and saute until soft. Season to taste with salt and pepper while cooking.
- Drain off excess liquid and sprinkle with the lemon juice.
- Spread the tortillas with the mustard and cover with the kale mixture.
- Tightly roll up the tortillas, trim the ends off, and cut into ¾-inch thick slices.
- Lay flat and serve on a platter.