This sweet papaya smoothie recipe was originally shared with us by Olympic Soy. They’ve since discontinued their dairy-free soy yogurt, so we’ve modified this recipe to use dairy-free coconut yogurt. The natural coconut flavor melds perfectly, and makes this a soy-free recipe. If the yogurt you use lacks zest, squeeze just a little lemon juice into the smoothie. It helps the flavors pop.
Sweet papayas grow in tropical climates around the world. In the U.S., it’s a popular local fruit on Hawaii, but the mainland often imports it from Mexico. Papaya is naturally rich vitamins, digestive enzymes and is a prebiotic food. So it’s a natural to pair with probiotic-rich dairy-free yogurt and tummy-taming ginger.
For a thick and frosty smoothie or smoothie bowl, you can blend frozen papaya chunks in place of the papaya juice – or add just enough juice to get the consistency needed.
Special Diet Notes: Tropical Papaya Smoothie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, paleo-friendly, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup papaya juice
- 1 cup dairy-free coconut yogurt alternative
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger or ⅛ teaspoon ginger powder(optional)
- Honey or agave nectar, to taste (optional)
- Ice (optional)
- Put the dairy-free yogurt, coconut, and ginger (if using) in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the papaya juice and blend to combine. Taste test and add sweetener, if desired.
- For a frostier smoothie, blend in some ice.