Truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of traditional Thanksgiving dinner. I adore potatoes in every form, except for mashed. Gravy, especially with pan drippings, is a sauce that I’m happy to live without. Pie crust is usually boring and bland to my taste buds – no matter how flaky. I prefer chicken to freshly cooked turkey. And those overly sweetened sweet potatoes – why would you destroy such an amazing vegetable? I know that my opinions in this arena aren’t popular, BUT, I have to admit that I love the leftovers. Chilled stuffing and turkey are an amazing luxury, and just a few years ago I developed an admiration for cold turkey cranberry sandwiches.
Many people slather those turkey cranberry sandwiches with soft cheese or mayonnaise (the latter I admit is quite delicious), but a healthier option is hummus. An “original” or “classic” flavor melds nicely with the cranberry sauce and offers a more substantial, creamy layer that contrasts the crunch of lettuce and sliced onion.
The people at Sabra Hummus shared this Turkey Cranberry Sandwiches Recipe with photo. It was originally created by SmithBites.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Turkey Cranberry Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe can be dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, and soy-free. Just use caution when selecting your hummus. Some flavors contain dairy and/or nuts, and many varieties are made with soybean oil. For gluten-free turkey cranberry sandwiches, simply toast up slices of your favorite gluten-free bread. I’ve included my recommendations for dairy-free bread varieties (including a gluten-free option) in the recipe.
- 2 slices sourdough, hearty country, whole grain, or gluten-free bread (we like Rudi's dairy-free Bakery, which has both an Organic line and a range of Gluten-Free bread)
- ¼ cup hummus (such Sabra's Classic Hummus)
- 2 leaves bibb or Boston lettuce
- 2 thin slices purple onion
- 2-3¼-inch thick slices leftover turkey
- ¼ cup cranberry sauce
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Spread both pieces of bread with hummus.
- Layer on lettuce, purple onion, turkey, cranberry sauce and another layer of lettuce, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add top piece of bread, hummus side down.
Pingback: 19 Creative Thanksgiving Leftover Recipes -
Pingback: Over 50 Dairy-Free Recipes for Thanksgiving Leftovers - Go Dairy Free