This recipe for Tuscan vegan stuffed mushrooms is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Alana. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Cultured Coconut Milk or Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
According to Alana, these vegan stuffed mushrooms are a great appetizer for entertaining, and have a healthy dose of vegetables and hearty legumes.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/march-recipe-madness-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Tuscan Vegan Stuffed Mushrooms
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian. In fact, they are generally top food allergy-friendly.
- ½ cup seasoned bread crumbs (gluten-free, if needed)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 12 large button mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Salt, as needed
- ¼ cup chopped red pepper
- ¼ cup chopped yellow zucchini
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 green onion, minced
- ½ cup canned greens lentils, drained & rinsed
- 2 tablespoons So Delicious Dairy Free Original Culinary Coconut Milk or Cultured Coconut Milk
- Mix all ingredients together in a small bowl and set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
- Remove the stem from the mushroom and dice it.
- Heat 1 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet and sauté all of the mushrooms on both sides, just to slightly soften, adding a pinch of salt to the inside of each mushroom.
- Remove to a baking sheet, gill side up.
- Add 2 tablespoons oil to the same skillet and begin to sauté all of the vegetables (including the mushroom stems), herbs and seasonings. Cook on medium heat until slightly softened approx. 5 min. Add the lentils, stir to mix. Set aside to cool for 5 min. Stir in the yogurt or coconut milk, and season to taste with salt.
- Fill the mushroom caps with the filling. Mound the mixture into the caps to until stuffing is finished.
- Sprinkle and press the crumb topping onto each mushroom. You may have some leftover, depending on the size of mushrooms.
- Bake for 15 minutes.