Update! Pure, organic, molasses-spiked brown sugar adds depth and special sweetness to these un-caramelized banana smoothies. And the addition of vanilla and nutmeg heightens the warm flavor.
The recipe was originally shared with us by Almond Dream, when they improved the formula of their Original and Unsweetened almond milks back in 2011. Since then, many versions of Almond Dream have come and gone, but the timeless Unsweeteneed Almond Dream Milk Beverage.
Don’t worry if you can’t do nuts. This simple smoothie is delicious with almost any type of unsweetened or plain milk beverage, like Oat Dream (more details here) or Rice Dream.
Photo from Dream Plant Based.
Special Diet Notes: Un-Caramelized Banana Smoothies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For paleo-friendly Un-Caramelized Banana Smoothies, substitute coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
- 2 cups original almond milk beverage (can sub oat milk or rice milk beverage for nut-free)
- 2 large, ripe bananas, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups ice cubes
- 2 tablespoons organic brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Few pinches ground nutmeg
- Put the milk beverage, bananas, ice, brown sugar, and vanilla in your blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the smoothie into 3 glasses and sprinkle each with a pinch of nutmeg.
WOW! This was so so delicious I made it twice this week! It is a true party in your mouth!
That’s awesome! So glad you enjoyed it Jules 🙂