Crisp fall days call for flavorful desserts that warm you from the inside out. And there’s no better way to capture the tastes of autumn than with vegan apple pie bars. This recipe celebrates traditional seasonal favorites like cinnamon and tart, juicy apples. Make these bars for a pie twist at big holiday feasts, or simply for a special afternoon treat.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Apple Pie Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 7 cups Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup apple butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- 2 frozen unbaked dairy-free pie crusts, defrosted (see Pie Crust Note below)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage, divided
- 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Put the diced apples in large mixing bowl. Add the apple butter, brown sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla and stir until the apples are evenly coated.
- Place one pie crust in the bottom of your prepared baking dish. Carefully stretch out the crust to cover the pan’s bottom. Trim the edges, if needed.
- Spread the apple filling evenly over the bottom crust.
- Use a rolling pin to roll the second crust to be the same size as pan. Place the second crust on top of the apple filling and tuck the edges down to fully cover it.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cane sugar and cinnamon. Brush 2 tablespoons milk beverage evenly over the crust. Then sprinkle the cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over the crust.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Let the apple pie bars cool for 5 to 10 minutes in the pan before cutting.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons milk beverage, and remaining ½ teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Drizzle the icing over each bar to serve.