Why settle for one type of cuisine when you can enjoy two? Particularly when the dish can be made in less than 30 minutes. This Vegan Asian Skillet Nachos recipe comes complete with quick Wasabi Crema, and is a sample recipe from Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking by Nicole Malik.
Vegan Asian Skillet Nachos for a Fun & Easy Weeknight Meal
Nicole shuns tofu and salads in Weeknight One-Pot Vegan Cooking. Her latest collection includes 75 satisfying recipes with “maximum flavor and minimal cleanup.” The following includes just a few recipe titles that caught my eye.
- 3-Bean Southwest Cornbread Pie
- Portobello “Pot Roast”
- Roasted Tahini Eggplant Skewers
- Twice-Baked Harissa-Stuffed Potatoes
- Fig & Balsamic Skillet Flatbread
- Fiery Red Curry Noodles
- Cuban Lentil Picadillo
- Louisiana-Style Cajun Jambalaya
- Roasted Root Veggies & Barley
- Old-Fashioned Mushrooms and Dumplings
- Balsamic French Onion Soup
- Savory Mushroom Congee
- Crispy Breakfast Hash
- Chai-Spiced Oatmeal
- Chocolate-Espresso Skillet Cake
And of course, the Asian Skillet Nachos with Wasabi Crema! This sample recipe is from the “Eat with Your Hands” chapter, and it can be enjoyed below.
Special Diet Notes: Asian Skillet Nachos with Wasabi Crema
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sesame oil
- 2 cups (132 g) sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, sliced
- 1⁄2 green bell pepper, sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 (6-ounce) package tortilla chips
- 1⁄4 cup (60 g) plain dairy-free yogurt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon wasabi paste
- 1⁄2 cup (35 g) shredded cabbage
- 1⁄2 cup (50 g) shredded carrots
- 2 scallions, sliced
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7).
- To make the nachos, heat the sesame oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms, onion and bell pepper for 6 to 7 minutes, until softened. Add the soy sauce and Chinese five-spice powder, and cook for another 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the pan.
- To make the wasabi crema, mix the dairy-free yogurt and wasabi paste in a small bowl and set aside.
- Arrange the tortilla chips in the skillet. Top the chips with the cooked vegetables. Bake for 5 minutes, until just warmed.
- Top with the shredded cabbage, carrots, scallions and wasabi crema.