This recipe for chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwiches was an entry in the Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, which we previously hosted. It was created and submitted by Kim Van Dunk.
Kim says, “The cookies are gluten free, egg free, dairy free, vegan, and soy free! I prefer to allow these cookies to sit overnight before filling with ice cream.”
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Chip Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly!
- 1 cup coconut butter
- 1½ cups light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups sorghum flour
- 2 tablespoons flaxmeal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch sea salt
- 1 (10-ounce) bag dairy-free mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life for allergy-friendly)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and line a stainless steel baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the coconut butter into the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Cream for 1 to 2 minutes until the coconut butter is light and fluffy and no lumps are present. Add in the brown sugar and vanilla. Continue to mix for 1 minute.
- Add the sorghum flour, flaxmeal, baking soda, and salt to the creamed mixture. Mix together until thoroughly combined, about 1 to 2 minutes. Add in the package of chocolate chips and stir until combined.
- Using a tablespoon size scooper, scoop out heaping mounds of dough into the palm of your hand. Roll the dough together into a ball, then lightly flatten out the dough into discs about ½" thick. Place onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. The cookies should be golden brown.
- Let the cookies to rest on the sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack with a spatula. Do this with care, as the cookies need to be completely cooled in order to hold together completely.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely before filling.
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer to lightly soften.
- Create the ice cream sandwiches by placing the softened ice cream between two cookies.
- Place the remaining chocolate chips into a shallow bowl. Roll the ice cream sandwich into the chips and gently press the chips into the cream. Place the ice cream sandwiches onto a platter and refreeze.