It’s difficult to find dairy-free and vegan chocolate-covered raisins in stores, but they’re SO EASY to make at home! This simple little recipe is great to whip up when chocolate cravings hit, and fun to make with kids. You can even gift them in cellophane bags wrapped with ribbon, or tuck them into lunchboxes for a surprise treat. They’re perfect for almost anyone, since the ingredients we use are dairy-free, nut-free, gluten-free, and soy-free.
This dairy-free and vegan chocolate-covered raisins recipe with photo was shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods. But we have adapted it slightly and added some notes!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate-Covered Raisins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a microwaveable bowl. Heat for 30 seconds, then stir. Heat for 30 seconds, then stir. Heat in additional 10 second intervals until the chocolate is just melted and smooth. Do not overheat it!
- Add the raisins to the chocolate and stir until evenly coated.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the coated raisins to the parchment paper.
- Let cool at room temperature, or place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to speed up the process.
- Once cooled, break the chocolate-covered raisins into smaller pieces.