It seemed only fitting to celebrate National Ice Cream Day with the very first dairy-free ice cream recipe that I made. I shared this recipe for vegan chocolate ice cream over ten years ago, and wanted to make sure it was every bit as good as I remembered. But since my freezer is packed with non-dairy ice cream pints for review (two dozen – no joke!), I asked Leah to test it again. She also took some lovely pictures to show you just how rich and creamy this easy, classic dessert is.
Leah gave this vegan chocolate ice cream a very positive review, but recommended further heightening the flavors with a little salt. Brilliant! If you’re a fan of Modern Family, then you know that even Sophia Vergara can’t resist that perfect pinch of salt in chocolate.
And if you don’t have an ice cream maker, all is not lost. Simply use firm silken tofu, chill in the refrigerator, skip the freezing process, and enjoy it as a creamy chocolate mousse!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- Melt the chocolate and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Put the tofu in a blender and process until very smooth. Add the melted, cooled chocolate and process until well combined. You may have to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender.
- Add the milk beverage, vanilla, and salt and puree until smooth.
- Cover and chill the mixture in the refrigerator for 1 hour or more, to cool.
- Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Enjoy immediately as soft serve or pack into a freezer-safe container and freeze until solid.