This isn’t just any chocolate sorbetto recipe. It was created by one of the founders of the popular gelato company, Ciao Bella. Their gelato recipes do contain dairy. But their sorbetto flavors are purely dairy-free, even the ones made with creamy coconut or rich chocolate. And you can make this one at home!
Vegan Chocolate Sorbetto that’s Deep, Dark, and Positively Delicious
We do have a very basic chocolate sorbet recipe, but this chocolate sorbetto is a level up. It has the richness, and light creaminess of classic Italian gelato, and intense flavor thanks to some clever flavor additions.
Dark rum is added for the perfect depth in flavor, and contributes a touch to a creamier flavor. Alcohol doesn’t freeze, so it helps to reduce ice crystals and keep the frozen dessert softer. And dairy-free dark chocolate adds richness in both flavor and consistency. If you need to find allergy-friendly chocolate brands, see our list of Brands that Use Dedicated Dairy-Free Facilities.
We originally posted this recipe about a decade ago, when the authors shared it with us. Today, we’re giving this post a big update!
Special Diet Notes: Chocolate Sorbetto
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, top allergen-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to pick the dark chocolate that suits your dietary needs.
- 3 cups water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 4 ounces dark chocolate (at least 60% cacao), finely chopped
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon dark rum
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the water and sugar. Place the pan over medium-high heat and bring the mixture to a boil, whisking often to dissolve the sugar.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 minutes, continuing to whisk until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chopped chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until incorporated and the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the rum and vanilla.
- Pour the mixture though a fine-mesh strainer into a clean bowl.
- Let cool, checking in to stir often.
- Once cooled, cover and refrigerate the mixture until very cold, at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Churn the mixture in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Transfer the sorbetto to an airtight container and freeze for at least 2 hours before serving.