Earlier this week, I posted a Broccoli “Cheese” Tater Tots Recipe in honor of this year’s Super Bowl. But I have one more game-worthy appetizer to share, Crispy Buffalo Mushrooms. These handhelds have a crunchy coating, a soft and tender interior, and are doused in buttery hot sauce for bold flavor. You can prep them ahead and quickly cook during the warm-up for a hot appetizer.
Crispy Buffalo Mushrooms Baked in Your Air Fryer or Oven
This is another great recipe from the “Healthier by Dole” campaign. These crispy buffalo mushrooms are a great alternative to deep fried snacks, and they’re naturally free of dary and eggs.
For dipping, you can serve your favorite dairy-free cheese sauce, ranch, or even “blue cheese” – yes, they exist! Daiya and Follow Your Heart offer two popular vegan blue “cheese” dressings, or you can make your own with this vegan blue cheese dressing recipe. For a nacho-style option, I love this multi-purpose dairy-free cheese sauce. It isn’t spicy, so it balances the buffalo sauce.
Special Diet Notes: Crispy Buffalo Mushrooms
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1½ cups white whole wheat flour (can sub regular whole wheat flour or all-purpose flour)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1½ to 1¾ cups seltzer water
- 2¼ cups whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 pound mushrooms, halved lengthwise
- Spray oil
- ½ cup cayenne pepper hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread, melted
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Line a rimmed baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Whisk in 1½ cups seltzer water until relatively smooth. If the batter seems to thick, whisk in up to ¼ cup more seltzer water.
- Place the breadcrumbs in a wide, shallow dish.
- Dip the mushroom halves in the batter to coat, allowing excess to drip off, then roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat. Place them on your prepared pan.
- Preheat a 3-quart or larger air fryer to 400°F for 5 minutes.
- Spray the mushrooms with oil or nonstick cooking spray.
- Air fry the mushrooms, in 3 batches, for 5 minutes per batch, or until golden brown and crisp, turning once.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a rimmed baking pan and keep them warm in the oven.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the hot sauce and buttery spread. Add the mushrooms and toss to coat.
- Let cool for a few minutes before serving - they will be hot on the inside! Serve the mushrooms sprinkled with onions, and with your favorite dairy-free dressing as a dip.