This year, I’ve been posting quite a few dairy-free drink recipes to our site. Do you really even need to ask why? That said, this vegan eggnog is a virgin drink that you can enjoy without alcohol. But I won’t judge if you decide to add some rum – white, spiced, or dark would each be delicious.
Vegan Eggnog that’s Incredibly Creamy, Rich, and Delicious
This recipe is another gem from the cookbook The Friendly Vegan Cookbook: 100 Essential Recipes to Share with Vegans and Omnivores Alike by Toni Okamoto and Michelle Cehn.
Well, don’t worry, dear friends. Just because you’re avoiding eggs doesn’t mean you have to forgo your favorite holiday drink. Using the magic of cashews and coconut cream, we’ve re-created a holiday nog that is every bit as luscious as the nog you grew up drinking, and redolent of the cozy flavors of winter.
Toni and Michelle keep it simple with dishes and flavors that have been well-loved for generations. Their cookbook includes Toaster Pastries, Mashed Potatoes, Lasagna, Tacos, Caesar Salad, and so many more foods that you would be happy to share with friends. It’s an everyday kind of collection, but does include some special holiday recipes, like Vegan Silken Chocolate Pumpkin Pie and this indulgent Vegan Eggnog.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Eggnog
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in water overnight or for at least 4 hours, drained, and rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup unsweetened plain soymilk
- 2½ tablespoons sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cardamom
- In a high-powered blender,* combine the soaked cashews, water, coconut cream, soymilk, sugar, vanilla extract, cinnamon, cloves, and cardamom and purée until smooth.
- Place the nog in the refrigerator and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Stir the nog and serve cold.
This recipe is reprinted with permissions from The Friendly Vegan Cookbook by Toni Okamoto and Michelle Cehn.