Mark Reinfeld is one of my favorite vegan cookbook authors, so I’m very excited about his latest book, The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe. German bratwurst and moussaka are no match for the creative talents of Reinfeld. He even puts a delicious dairy-free spin on a classically cheesy soup – yes, Mark has created a vegan french onion soup recipe (which he is sharing with us today)!
The 30-Minute Vegan’s Taste of Europe covers eight general cuisines, French, German, Greek, Italian, English/Irish, Spanish/Portuguese, and European fusion, and includes 150 plant-based vegan recipes. Most of the recipes are gluten-free or can easily be adapted to gluten-free (like this vegan french onion soup – simply use gluten-free bread).
To keep this vegan french onion soup allergy-friendly, use nutritional yeast or reach for a cheese alternative like Daiya or Galaxy shreds. They are made without gluten and without the top eight food allergens.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- 2 large yellow onions, sliced thinly (4 cups)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup red wine, or 1 cup sherry
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 5 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 cup grated vegan mozzarella- or Cheddar-style cheese, or ½ cup nutritional yeast, or to taste
- ½ baguette (white, wheat, or gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the soup: Place the olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions, salt, and pepper, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Add the wine and vinegar and cook for 10 minutes, stirring frequently and adding small amounts of vegetable stock if necessary to prevent sticking.
- Lower the heat to medium, add the vegetable stock and herbs to the pot, and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, prepare the croutons: Set the oven to broil and oil a baking sheet. Slice the baguette into ½-inch slices and place on the prepared baking sheet. Baste with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil for 5 minutes, or until the bread is crispy.
- To serve, remove the bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Pour the soup into oven-safe bowls, add a baguette slice, and sprinkle the top with vegan cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese melts, about 5 minutes. If you do not have oven-safe bowls, simply top with the cheese before serving.
Pingback: Daiya “Cheese” Review, Recipe Roundup, and Giveaway | gfe--gluten free easily
I absolutely LOVE this soup and make it all the time. I am diabetic and figure that one 10oz bowl is only 6 grams of carbs and low fat besides (not counting the topping). The only mod I make is to add a spoonful of Kitchen Bouquet to darken the color. My paper copy of the recipe is very dog-eared and stained but I treasure it. I cheat and use smoked Swiss cheese on top though so it is not fully vegan but I use this soup as an excuse to cheat! It is that good!
This was delicious! We made a mushroom/onion broth to make it very dark and umami, like a beef broth. Used apple cider vinegar with sugar as a balsamic vinegar sub. We really enjoyed and think better than conventional French onion soup:) Thanks so much!
Awesome! And thanks for sharing your modifications Nina!
Great recipe. Although it’s not vegan if it has cheese. That makes it vegetarian.
It’s dairy-free / vegan cheese K. Even in the picture.
its vegan cheese
TRIED IT, LOVED IT!
Pingback: Disney Dinner and a Movie: Beauty and the Beast (1991) | Funk's House of Geekery
Pingback: Onions: Roots of Good Health « Sunwarrior News | Vegan, Vegetarian & Raw Food Recipes
Made this twice for my Vegetarian girlfriend. Very delicious, hits the spot every time. I’d prefer this over regular french onion soup any day.
I made this tonight and really liked it. Thanks for posting the recipe!
I’ve actually MAJORLY been craving French onion soup lately…perfect timing! This cookbook also sounds amazing by the way. Def need to check it out so I can make some veg greek food for my boyfriend!
Thank you for posting this fabulous recipe. It looks really yummy and I cannot wait to try it.