This wonderful vegan pasta recipe with dairy-free garlic shiitake cream sauce was shared with us by Chef Jason Wyrick of The Vegan Taste.
I’ll be honest. I love food, I love to cook, but I don’t love to do it all the time. After a long day in the professional kitchen, I often find myself feeling rather burned out for my personal kitchen. That’s when I head for the containers of hummus or other quick foods I’ve got sitting around, or I head to the kitchen to make something fast and easy, something that doesn’t require a lot of thought, but tastes great and leaves me satisfied for the rest of the night. This creamy pasta is one of those dishes!
Garlic Shiitake Cream Sauce is a Vegan Chef’s Answer to Lazy Nights
Chef Jason’s vegan garlic shiitake cream sauce is light in calories but rich, creamy, flavorful, earthy, and warm. He usually serves it over pasta, but he says it’s also great over cooked polenta, rice, or gnocchi. You might even like it over steamed vegetables or a baked potato for a grain-free light meal.
This recipe is quite rich in plant-based protein from the tofu. But if you make the soy-free option, I recommend tossing the sauce with lentil noodles. The brands made purely with red lentils are the highest in protein, grain-free, and taste the best, in my opinion!
Shiitake mushrooms are a little smoky and more full-bodied in flavor than most other types of mushrooms. If needed, you can use another type of mushroom, but I would stick with “meatier” ones, like portobello or cremini.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Garlic Shiitake Cream Pasta
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 4 ounces whole wheat pasta (can sub gluten-free pasta or regular pasta)
- 12 ounces soft silken tofu
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 12 to 15 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley or basil
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add the noodles and stir for about 1 minute. Continue cooking until al dente.
- Put the tofu, galirc, onion powder, salt, and pepper in your blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the sauce and shiitakes to a pan and simmer them over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Once the noodles are done, drain them and plate them. Top with the sauce and shiitakes, and sprinkle with the fresh parsley or basil.
This look incredible! Especially for being dairy-free 🙂 I love the use of tofu in here. I’m seeing more and more creamy sauces with tofu lately. I’ve gotta try it out