It isn’t often that you stumble across grain-free ice cream sandwiches, but these dairy-free “oatmeal” delights are surprisingly oat-free. The recipe is a Sweet entry in the BIG Snackable Recipe Contest (over $3500 in cash prizes available!) submitted by Hallie Klecker of Daily Bites.
The contest is a celebration of our new FREE Snackable eBook with delicious, original Sweet, Savory and Sippable Dairy-Free Recipes. Download and enjoy it now via PDF, iTunes, Kindle, Kobo or Google Play: www.godairyfree.org/snackable-ebook
To qualify for the contest, this recipe for dairy-free, grain-free ice cream sandwiches uses Almond Milk Frozen Dessert from So Delicious Dairy Free.
These delicious “oatmeal” grain-free ice cream sandwiches arrived just in time for National Ice Cream Day, or in our case, Dairy-Free Ice Cream Day!
They’re much lower in sugar than your average ice cream sandwiches because Hallie uses just maple syrup to sweeten and the Almond Milk Dairy-Free Frozen Dessert is a low sugar vegan ice cream.
Special Diet Notes: “Oatmeal” Grain-Free Ice Cream Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan / plant-based, vegetarian, and optionally paleo.
- 1¾ cup (168 grams) blanched almond flour
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- ½ cup raisins or dried currants
- 1 cup So Delicious Almond Milk Vanilla Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Add the coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Stir to form a thick but moist dough. Stir in the raisins.
- Roll the dough into balls, using about 2 teaspoons of dough per ball, and place 2 inches apart on the lined baking sheets.
- Using your palm or the bottom of a glass, flatten the cookies to about ¼-inch thick.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges. Immediately upon removing the cookies from the oven, press down on them gently with the bottom of a glass to flatten slightly. Cool completely on the baking sheets.
- Soften the ice cream at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes until it is firm but easily spreadable.
- Sandwich about 1 tablespoon of ice cream between 2 cookies. Repeat with remaining ice cream and cookies. Serve right away, or wrap tightly and freeze until ready to eat.
What can I use in place of shredded coconut?
You can use actual quick oats, quinoa flakes, or you might try increasing the almond flour to 2 cups.
This ice cream sandwich are too cute! And they looks scrumptious!
Wow these look so good and so easy. Ice cream sandwiches used to be my all-time fav before going vegan and now I struggle to find good replacements! I’ll be trying these for sure!
Ice cream sandwiches are the best in the summer! Especially healthier versions.
These look like such a perfect dairy-free treat. I LOVE ice cream sandwiches and these are a perfect size.
These look amazing and perfect for my v/gf friend. Thank you!
You are right it is so hard to find dairy free, grain free frozen treats. These look great.
I’ve always loved oatmeal cookies and I haven’t had an ice cream sandwich in years! Perfect!
What a fun summer dessert! These look great!
this recipe finds me at a perfect time – I was honestly craving an oatmeal cookie today! add ice cream? all the better!