It’s the weekend and you deserve something special. Something that you may not have time to make on those hurried weekday mornings. You should make vegan huevos rancheros. Yes, really. This recipe was shared with us by Chef Jason Wyrick. He originally created it for his magazine, The Vegan Culinary Experience. But he has since moved on to manage a meal delivery service in Phoenix called The Vegan Taste.
Recipe Tips: Vegan Huevos Rancheros
Chef Jason loves to includes helpful notes with each of his recipes!
For an extra nice presentation, put a dab of salsa and some chopped cilantro on top of the cooked vegan huevos rancheros. And sprinkle some freshly ground pepper around the plate.
This recipe most efficiently done if you can manage to cook the tofu scramble at the same time you make the tomato and onion sauce. If you cannot do that, make the sauce first so that it can be immediately added to the tofu scramble without having to take it off the heat.
Complimentary Food and Drinks
Vegan huevos rancheros go nicely with orange-flavored water. Orange juice can be too acidic for this, but if you take a couple of orange slices and put them in a glass, you’ll get a very mild and refreshing orange taste.
How It Works
Cooking the tortilla in a dry sauté pan allows it to crisp up and puts a little bit of the toasted corn taste onto the pan. When the tofu scramble is sautéed in the same pan, it will pick up that subtle toasted corn flavor. Cooking the sauce separately allows the flavors to combine before it is added to the scrambled tofu.
I like toasting the tortillas in the pan instead of the oven because it keeps my house from heating up. Also, doing it without the oil keeps it a bit healthier, too. Lastly, if you have a gas burner, I suggest roasting your own peppers over it. Otherwise, use the cheat and buy a small can of them.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Huevos Rancheros
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 corn tortillas
- 12 ounces extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon + ½ teaspoon oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon diced roasted green pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup sliced onion
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon lime juice
- 1 sprig cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Shredded vegan Monterey jack cheese alternative (optional)
- Heat up a dry sauté pan over medium heat.
- Toast the tortillas in the pan until slightly crisp.
- In a metal bowl, mash the tofu with a whisk until crumbly.
- Add 1 teaspoon oil to the sauté pan and place it over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the green pepper, turmeric, and salt. Remove from the heat.
- In a separate sauté pan, heat the remaining ½ teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, and cook until lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes. Once they start to brown, add the tomatoes, garlic, cumin, and lime juice. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato mixture to the scrambled tofu and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the cilantro and black pepper.
- Serve the tofu scramble atop the tortillas.Optionally top with the cheese alternative.
More Healthy Comforting Vegan Breakfasts