This recipe for vegan ice cream buttercream is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Talia Hassid. To qualify, the recipe includes No Sugar Added Coconut Milk Ice Cream by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Ice Cream Buttercream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. For soy-free, be sure to select a soy-free margarine (like Earth Balance soy-free varieties) and a non-hydrogenated, soy-free shortening, like Spectrum.
- 5 tablespoons gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 cup So Delicious Dairy Free No Sugar Added Vanilla Coconut Milk Ice Cream, melted and at room temperature
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance), room temperature
- ½ cup shortening, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Combine flour and ice cream in a small sauce pan, without turning on the heat yet, and whisk until fully combined and no lumps remain.
- Turn heat on medium low and stir the flour/ice cream mixture until very thick. It should become like a thick brownie batter consistency. Once it has thickened, remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once ice cream/flour mixture has cooled to room temperature, cream the Earth Balance, shortening, and sugar in a stand mixer until smooth and light. Be sure to mix until it is no longer grainy.
- Add the vanilla to the cooled ice cream/flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Once the Earth Balance/shortening and sugar are whipped, add in the ice cream/flour mixture and whip until light and fluffy. It should resemble a whipped cream consistency.