Updated in 2023! Have you ever gotten home to discover that pint (or quart!) of vegan ice cream you bought has melted! It’s truly a sad moment. But don’t despair! You can turn that delicious frozen dessert into dairy-free ice cream buttercream frosting!
Dairy-Free Ice Cream Buttercream is a Vegan Dessert Savior
This genius recipe was submitted by Talia Hassid as an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest. We’ve since updated her recipe with more options, and have answers to the FAQs:
What Gluten-Free Flour Should I Use?
Talia didn’t mention what brand she uses (she makes the gluten-free version), but your favorite gluten-free flour blend for sauces should work well. You might be able to get away with a single gluten-free flour, as long as it is very good at thickening. Sweet white rice flour (also called glutinous rice flour) tends to be good in sauces. Freshly ground nut flours can also work well.
Can I Use Powdered Sugar Instead of Granulated Sugar?
Yes, it should work okay, but will affect the thickness a little.
Can I Use Other Ice Cream Flavors?
You can, but just keep the end result in mind. If you use a chocolate ice cream, the flavor might not be as intense as you hope. To help with the depth, blend in a little cocoa powder, to taste. You also might want to avoid dairy-free ice cream pints with any chunky add-ins.
Special Diet Notes: Ice Cream Buttercream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, , vegan, and vegetarian. Be sure to select the flour, frozen dessert, buttery sticks, and shortening that suit your dietary needs.
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
- 1 cup melted dairy-free vanilla ice cream (Talia uses So Delicious No Sugar Coconut Milk Frozen Dessert)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup (1 stick) dairy-free buttery sticks, room temperature
- ½ cup shortening (Talia uses Spectrum)
- In a small saucepan, whisk together the ice cream and flour until smooth.
- Place the pan over medium-low heat, and stir until the mixture is very thick, like thick brownie batter.
- Remove the pan from the heat, whisk in the vanilla, and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
- Once the ice cream mixture is cool, cream the sugar, buttery stick, and shortening with a mixer until smooth and light. It shouldn't be grainy.
- Add the ice cream mixture to the creamed mixture and whip until light and fluffy.
- Once the Earth Balance/shortening and sugar are whipped, add in the ice cream/flour mixture and whip until light and fluffy.