Why settle for plain old biscuits when you can have lemon tea biscuits?! They are just a touch sweet, like scones, and are best served with lemon buttery spread. The spread adds the real punch of lemon, but I’ve included a note in the recipe for adding more lemon taste in the biscuits, if you wish. Also, if you prefer sweeter biscuits, you can double the sugar.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Lemon Biscuits
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup cold, non-hydrogenated shortening
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup dairy-free milk beverage
- Preheat your oven to 450ºF.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the shortening and whisk until coarse crumbs form.
- Stir the lemon juice into the milk beverage, and pour it into the flour mixture. Stir just enough to make a soft dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly flour board and knead just to bring the dough together.
- Roll or pat the dough out to ½-inch thickness. Cut the dough with a floured cutter and place each biscuit on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly golden on top.