Who doesn’t swoon over creamy macaroni & cheese casserole with that golden, bubbly top? This baked macaroni and cheese is ultra rich and full of cheesy flavor. BUT it’s made without any cheese substitutes! It’s a from-scratch recipe that keeps it real with a roux-based dairy-free sauce and all the right seasonings.
Unlike many other cheesy recipes, this one doesn’t contain any lemon or vinegar. So it has more of a savory “cheese” flavor without the tang. It was originally shared with us by PETA back in 2006, but we’ve given the post a big update!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Macaroni and Cheese Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 3½ cups dry macaroni
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 3½ cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ to 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 cup nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ cup oil
- Paprika or smoked paprika, for topping (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Cook the macaroni according to the package directions.
- While the macaroni is cooking, melt the buttery spread in a medium saucepan over low heat. Whisk in the flour.
- Continue whisking over medium heat until smooth and bubbly, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in the boiling water, soy sauce, garlic powder, and ½ teaspoon salt. Continue whisking until the sauce is smooth, thick, and bubbling. Whisk in the nutritional yeast and oil. Taste and add more salt, as needed.
- Mix ¾ of the sauce with the noodles and transfer to a casserole dish. Even the noodles out, and evenly cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle with paprika, if desired.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil the top for a few minutes, until browned.