This is your basic, no frills, vegan mushroom gravy. It can be made purely from pantry ingredients, or you can fancy it up with fresh and flavorful additions. I highly recommend pouring it over some delicious dairy-free mashed potatoes. A few favorite recipes include Mama’s Easy Mashed Potatoes, Perfect Healthy Mashed Potatoes, and Roasted Garlic Mashed Potatoes. If you are planning a completely vegan feast, you might also like to serve it with this Vegan Turkey Loaf.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Mushroom Gravy
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free vegan mushroom gravy, you might try your favorite gluten-free all-purpose flour blend. Sweet white rice flour (not regular white rice flour) also tends to work well in gravy.
- ½ cup dried mushrooms or ¾ cup fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread (can sub olive oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose or whole wheat pastry)
- 1 cup mushroom broth or vegetable broth, plus additional if needed
- Salt, to taste (if needed)
- Black pepper, to taste
- If using dried mushrooms, place them in a bowl and cover with ½ cup boiling water. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes, or until fully hydrated.
- Melt the buttery spread in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender and translucent, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until frothy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms (with liquid if using dried) and broth. Bring it to a boil, while whisking. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, whisking often, until thickened to your desired consistency. Whisk in more broth or water if it thickens too much.
- Taste test and add salt and pepper, if desired.
Helpful Pantry Supplies: Vegan Mushroom Gravy