This recipe for a mushroom pasta bake is a “main course” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Coopman. For the cream sauce, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Christina says, “Man this stuff is so good. This one is a pasta with 3 types of mushrooms and a white wine cream sauce.”
Alisa’s Testing Notes: Mushroom Pasta Bake
I tested this mushroom pasta bake recipe for the contest (the ramekin pictures shown below are mine), and though it was quite easy to throw together. It tastes wonderful straight from the stove-top if you can’t wait for it to bake. I actually liked it best when just cooked, but baking it did entice our mushroom-hating niece who said that it “smelled amazing.” We did prefer the higher amount of salt for a bigger flavor boost.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Mushroom Pasta Bake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free and dairy-free mushroom pasta bake, use your favorite gluten-free pasta (we like the corn-based ones) and substitute the soy sauce with wheat-free tamari.
- 2½ cups uncooked short pasta
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups chopped mushrooms, different varieties (I used button, portobello and shiitake)
- ⅓ cup finely diced onion
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon red chili flakes
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ to ¾ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup panko or breadcrumbs
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Cook the pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse.
- In a saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, onion, garlic, thyme and chili flakes. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the onions are softened.
- De-glaze the pan by adding the wine. Cook for another couple minutes.
- Add in the coconut milk beverage, nutritional yeast, soy sauce, salt (to taste) and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring and bring down to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
- While simmering prepare the roux in another saucepan. Melt the buttery spread over medium heat. Once melted, stir in the flour until fully mixed and the roux is pulled away from the sides of the pan. Continue to cook and stir for another couple minutes. Remove from heat until the mushroom sauce is ready.
- Once simmered for 10 minutes, pour ⅓ of the sauce into the pot with the roux, whisking continuously over medium heat. Continue to whisk until thickened. Add another ⅓ of sauce and repeat the process. Repeat with the rest of the sauce. Continue to cook and thicken for another 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in the pasta and stir until fully mixed. Portion into individual baking dishes or a loaf or casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with panko and bake for about 30 minutes or until as crispy as desired.
- Serve with a fresh salad and enjoy the amazing flavor of dairy free!