This vegan oil-free pumpkin bread is a fall favorite! It’s moist and hearty, with a comforting sweet flavor. Over the years, I’ve received many many comments from readers asking how they can cut all of the fat from baked good recipes. Here’s their answer!
Vegan Oil-Free Pumpkin Bread with Flaxseed
We originally shared this recipe back in 2006, but I’m giving this post an update! It was adapted from Allrecipes, but we’ve modified the recipe more, added a muffin option, and I have some new tips for you.
The Texture of Fat-Free Quick Bread
It’s important to know that fat-free quick bread can have a slightly gummy texture that develops more as it cools. Many people love this texture and people who bake fat free often are accustomed to it. Some people don’t even notice it! But some people detect the difference and aren’t fans of it. If you don’t love the texture of fat-free quick bread, try one of these easy fixes with this vegan pumpkin bread.
- Toast or warm the bread before eating to soften the crumb a little. You can even enjoy it like toast with your favorite spread.
- Go low fat instead of fat-free. Substitute ½ cup full-fat coconut milk (the stuff in cans) for the water. Or, if you don’t mind a little oil, add 2 tablespoons oil (your favorite type) or melted dairy-free buttery spread and reduce the water to 6 tablespoons. You only need a little fat (these options add about 2 to 3 grams per serving) to soften the texture.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Oil-Free Pumpkin Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (can sub ground chia seed)
- ½ cup water
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup sugar
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts, dried cranberries, or raisins (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the ground flaxseed and water and let it gel while you mix the dry ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Add the pumpkin and sugar to the flaxseed mixture and mix until relatively smooth. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined; do not overmix. Fold in the walnuts, cranberries, or raisins, if using.
- Scrape the batter into your prepared pan and even it out.
- Bake for 60 to 70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Sugar-Free Option: Substitute your favorite sugar-free baking sweetener for the sugar.