We think of citrus as a refreshing pleasure in summer, but fruit like lemons are truly at their peak in late winter into early spring. And this simple pasta with rich vegan lemon cream sauce is an ideal way to enjoy them. It’s both nutritious and comforting.
Vegan Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce for Plant-Powered Health
This vegan pasta with lemon cream sauce, otherwise known as Lemon Crema Farfalle, is a sample recipe from Plant Powered Health by Lisa Goodwin. It’s a plant-based book that focuses on optimal health, and includes all of the following.
- 48 vegan recipes (most are oil-free and budget-friendly)
- 5 meal plans
- Family meal planning guide
- Complete vegan nutrition guide
- Vegan transition guide for beginners
- Vegan weight loss guide
According to Lisa, her book will help you learn:
- The benefits of a whole food plant based diet
- How to transition without side effects
- How to get all your nutrients on a vegan diet
- What supplements are important on the vegan diet
- How to create balanced meals that fit your nutritional needs
- The vegan foods to avoid or reduce
- How to overcome obstacles like cravings, social gatherings, label reading, and more.
Still on the fence? Give her vegan pasta with lemon cream sauce recipe a try, and see what you think!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, peanut-free, oil-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For soy-free, vegan lemon cream sauce, you can substitute about 1 cup full-fat (canned) coconut milk)
- ½ cup cashews
- 12 ounces dry farfalle pasta (about 4 cups; gluten-free if needed)
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces (woody ends removed)
- 3 zucchini, cubed
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 lemon
- 8 ounces firm tofu (use silken for the smoothest sauce), drained
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Cover the cashews in warm water and soak for at least 10 to 15 minutes, then drain.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- Steam the asparagus, zucchini, and onion in a large pan until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- To make the sauce, zest some of the (washed) lemon peel, then squeeze out the juice. Add both the peel and the juice into a blender with the tofu, drained cashews, garlic, salt, and pepper. Blend until very creamy. Blend in the rosemary.
- Add the pasta and sauce to the pan with your cooked vegetables, and stir to combine over low heat. Serve warm.