We have a couple popular pumpkin soup recipes on our site, including a Crockpot Curry version and a Savory Fall version. But this vegan pumpkin soup is creamier, and it plays more heavily on pumpkin’s natural sweetness with maple syrup, spices, and quick candied pecans. It’s layered with flavor, but is still quite quick and easy to throw together!
This recipe with photos was shared with us by Milkadamia.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Pumpkin Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For a paleo, vegan pumpkin soup, substitute coconut oil for the buttery spread and coconut sugar for the brown sugar.
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free buttery spread (used Milkadamia)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree (can sub 1⅞ cup fresh pumpkin puree)
- 3 cups unsweetened vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (used Milkadamia)
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla dairy-free creamer (used Milkadamia; can sub lite canned coconut milk if unavailable)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- Salt, to taste (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free buttery spread (used Milkadamia)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- ½ cup pecans
- Melt the buttery spread in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic, and saute until softened.
- Stir in the pumpkin puree, milk beverage, and creamer until smooth.
- Add the maple syrup, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, and cayenne, and stir to combine.
- Bring the soup to a simmer, reduce to low, and let cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste, and add salt, if needed.
- Melt the buttery spread in a saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the brown sugar, salt, cayenne, and cinnamon, and cook, while stirring, until the sugar is melted, and syrup.
- Add the pecans. Cook and stir for a couple minutes, until the pecans are well coated.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with pecans.