Did you vow to eat more plants in the new year? Or perhaps you’ve decided to meal prep to keep your healthy diet on track. Either way, Vegan Yack Attack’s Plant-Based Meal Prep by Jackie Sobon is a cookbook worth considering. It just launched this week, and is filled with nutrient-rich, make-ahead dishes to simplify and energize your week. To offer a delicious sample, Jackie is sharing this vegan southwest salad recipe with creamy cilantro jalapeno dressing.
Vegan Southwest Salad to Kick Start your Plant-Based Meal Prep
In her book, Jackie lists the Southwest Salad and the Cilantro Jalapeño Cashew Dressing as two separate recipes. But they are complimentary “Fresh Outta The Fridge” recipes, and both boast speedy prep with short ingredient lists. Many of you will like that the dressing is also soy-free, paleo-friendly, and oil-free! Here’s what Jackie has to say about it.
This vibrantly green dressing is packed with flavor but is good on dang near anything. And because it is prepared in a blender, it is very easy to make! Raw cashews create a creamy base that carries that herby cilantro goodness and a hint of fresh jalapeño spice.
You can enjoy over 100 recipes like this one in Vegan Yack Attack’s Plant-Based Meal Prep. It also boasts 14 weekly meal plans to get you started and brilliant photography with every recipes. Jackie takes these stunning photos herself!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Southwest Salad
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¾ cup (103 g) raw cashews
- ¾ cup (175 ml) water
- ½ cup (8 g) firmly packed fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) lime juice plus
- 1 teaspoon zest
- 1 fresh jalapeño, stemmed and seeded
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1½ pounds (680 g) romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 (15-ounce [425 g]) cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
- 1¼ cups (188 g) grape tomatoes
- ⅔ cup (110 g) thinly sliced red onion
- ⅔ cup (95 g) sliced radishes
- ⅔ cup (60 g) sliced avocado
- Puree cashews, water, cilantro, lime juice and zest, onion powder, salt, and cayenne in a blender until the mixture is as smooth as possible, then let it rest in the pitcher for 5 minutes.
- Blend again to further break up the cashews. Season with additional salt to taste.
- Transfer to a jar with a lid and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days.
- Set out five roughly 30-ounce (850 g) storage containers. Divide the lettuce evenly among the containers, then top with black beans, bell peppers, tomatoes, and onion. Top each serving with radishes and sliced avocado.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top of each salad (or divide into five small containers or jars). Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 days.