More than a decade ago, River at Wing it Vegan shared her recipe for vegan Spanish tortilla with us. It was buried in our news section, so today we’re updating this fabulous dish and moving it to our recipe section. Spanish tortillas are a bit like potato-filled frittatas. They’re typically made with eggs, and sometimes with dairy, but River makes her version free of eggs and other top allergens.
This Vegan Spanish Tortilla is an Easy Pan to Plate Dish
Spanish tortillas are served any time of day, for breakfast, brunch, or dinner. They’re also a popular tapa at Spanish restaurants. We like them as a naturally dairy-free meal alternative, and River uses wholesome ingredients to make the plant-based version just as filling and nutritious.
The chickpea flour gives this tortilla a good protein boost, so it’s quite filling on its own. Serve it with steamed veggies or a salad and you have a nice meal in about 30 minutes. If you have more time and you want to use fresh onion and garlic then go for it! A tortilla is like a blank canvas, add your own goodies to customize it to your taste. Add vegan sausage crumbles for a change, or chopped mushrooms, zucchini, or vegan cheese.
This is also a very allergy-friendly recipe because it’s naturally soy-free and gluten-free. If you can’t eat corn you can replace the cornmeal with potato starch, but if you leave out the starch entirely the tortilla won’t be as crispy.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Spanish Tortilla
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 large Yukon gold potato, about 12 ounces
- ¼ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 heaping tablespoon minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Wash the potato and prick a few times with the tines of a fork. Microwave the potato on high for 5 to 6 minutes, or until soft. Transfer the hot potato to a bowl filled with cold water so you won't burn your hands peeling it.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the chickpea flour, cornstarch, nutritional yeast (if using), onion powder, nutmeg, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Gradually add the water while whisking to avoid lumps. Stir in the lemon juice and the parsley.
- At this point your potato should be cool enough to handle. Peel it and slice it into ¼ inch thick slices. The slices will break and crumble into pieces, that's OK. Add the potato to the chickpea mixture and gently stir to coat all the pieces.
- Heat the oil in a 9-inch non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Test the oil temperature with a drop of the chickpea mixture, the oil will be hot and ready when the drop sizzles. Carefully pour in the chickpea-potato mixture and cook over medium-low heat for 10 minutes.
- Shake the frying pan to loosen the tortilla. If it's stuck somewhere, use a spatula to gently lift the area of the tortilla that is not coming off. When the whole tortilla is sliding with ease, slide it onto a plate. Flip the tortilla onto the frying pan, raw side down. Cook for the tortilla for 5 more minutes.
- Slide the cooked tortilla back onto your plate, and serve hot!
Pingback: Vegan Versions of Classic European Recipes - News 2016
Hi Alisa, thanks for this recipe. I just came across it; my partner and I made it last night, and it was delish! Perfect quick and easy dinner alongside a kale + tomato salad. Your directions and notes were spot on. The only thing we might do differently next time is add a little more oil to the pan before putting the tortilla back in to cook on the second side. Thanks again!
So glad you both enjoyed the recipe Lisa and thanks for sharing your added tip!
Pingback: Vegan Versions of Classic European Recipes - Eluxe Magazine
Pingback: Spanish Tortilla, and Introducing The Wing It, Don’t Fling It Challenge!
Pingback: Spanish Tortilla, and Introducing The Wing It, Don’t Fling It Challenge! | Wing It Vegan