This simple vegan stovetop rice pudding recipe was initially shared with us by a reader. We’ve added some extra tips to help customize the recipe to your taste.
Special Diet Notes: Stovetop Rice Pudding
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Optionally vegan and nut-free.
- ¾ cup uncooked long grain white rice (see intro above for using leftover rice)
- 1½ cups water
- Pinch + ⅛ teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 4 cups unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ cup maple syrup, honey (if not strictly vegan), or agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup raisins or dried cherries
- Put the rice, water, and pinch salt in large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the milk beverage, sweetener, and ⅛ teaspoon salt. Cook uncovered, stirring often, until the rice mixture starts to resemble oatmeal, approximately 20 to 35 minutes. Do not overcook it, or the pudding will not be creamy when cooled.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla, cinnamon, and raisins or cherries.
Key Pantry Ingredients: Stovetop Rice Pudding