This year, Leah has been helping me test and re-photograph many of the “older” recipes here on Go Dairy Free. I put “older” in quotes since recipes never really get old – they’re timeless! And since we have over a thousand of them that could use a refresh, I let her pick and choose whatever strikes her fancy. This month she selected Hannah’s Vegan Strawberry Clafoutis recipe because “it’s perfect for summer!”
Way back in 2007, when chia seeds were still synonymous with ch-ch-ch-Chia Pets, both Hannah and I had the opportunity to test them out in actual recipes. I made banana muffins, but Hannah went above and beyond, creating this beautiful vegan strawberry clafoutis recipe.
Clafoutis is a French dessert with souffle-like qualities. In other words, it’s rich in eggs and dairy, and far from vegan. But Hannah loves a challenge! I can’t say if this vegan strawberry clafoutis tastes just like the traditional eggy recipe, but Leah can vouch that it is delicious.
The recipe and recipe photo are by Hannah Kaminsky, author of numerous vegan cookbooks and prolific writer and photographer behind Bittersweet. The photos above are by Leah of love me, feed me, and Associate Editor here at Go Dairy Free.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Strawberry Clafoutis
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 3 tablespoons chia seeds
- ⅔ cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- ⅓ cup plain dairy-free liquid creamer (like this one)
- ⅓ cup organic sugar
- 3 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch (can substitute arrowroot starch)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free buttery spread or sticks, melted (like this one)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 8 ounces fresh strawberries, sliced in half
- Powdered confectioner’s sugar (optional, for garnish)
- Grind the chia seeds into a fine powder in your spice grinder.
- Pour the ground seeds into a medium bowl and whisk in the milk beverage and creamer until relatively smooth. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, and then whisk again. It should have a pudding consistency at this point.
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 7-inch custard dish.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cornstarch, and flour. Add the melted buttery spread, vanilla, and salt, and whisk to combine. Add the chia pudding and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into your prepared custard dish. Arrange the strawberry halves on top.
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the vegan clafoutis pulls away from the sides and browns slightly around the edges.
- If the berries leak some juice, you can lightly pat it with a paper towel once cool to remove the excess. Lightly dust the vegan clafoutis with confectioner’s sugar, if desired.
Key Ingredients & Tools: Vegan Strawberry Clafoutis