Forget the cream! This easy vegan strawberry tart focuses on a delicious shortbread-like crust and fresh strawberries, which are lightly broiled with brown sugar and pistachios. It’s a fairly basic dessert, but still such an elegant treat. The recipe was shared with us several years ago by Kim at C’est La Vegan, but we have since updated it.
Vegan Strawberry Tart that’s Simply Made without Cream
For myself, strawberries are more than just a food. I have very fond memories of picking strawberries at a local farm with my mom and sister when I was quite little. After hours of hard work, mom would fill several flats with those ripe berries, I would be proud of my brimming pail (I am a bit of a perfectionist with fruit, so the selection process didn’t leave as many winners), and my older sister (every time) would return with one single berry in her bucket. The entire time she would just sit and eat – a u-pick farm’s dream I am sure. They should have weighed my sister coming in and leaving to charge for her consumption!
These days, I can’t easily pick strawberries, so they are even more cherished. When in season, I love using strawberries in recipes where they are the star of the show, like this vegan strawberry tart. Unlike most other fruit tart recipes, it’s made without pastry cream. Trust me, it really isn’t needed. But, I certainly won’t judge if you top your slice with a scoop (or two) of dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Strawberry Tart
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the butter alternative and shortening that suit your dietary needs.
For a nut-free, vegan strawberry tart, simply omit the pistachios! It will still be delicious without. Alternatively, you can substitute pumpkin seeds.
Prefer eggs? Note that the egg replacer used in this vegan strawberry tart is replacing 2 large eggs.
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks
- ⅓ cup non-hydrogenated shortening
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon dry vegan egg replacer (Kim uses Ener-G egg replacer)
- 1¾ cup spelt flour (can sub whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose flour)
- 3 to 4 cups fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons shelled and chopped lemon or plain pistachios
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar, butter alternative, and shortening.
- Whisk together the water and egg replacer in a small bowl until the powder is completely dissolved. Add this to creamed mixture and thoroughly combine, scraping the sides of the bowl.
- Add the flour and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch tart pan and press dough into the bottom and up the sides of the pan. You may need to wet your hands if the dough is too sticky. Arrange the sliced strawberries on top of the dough and bake for about 30 minutes, or until the edges start to turn golden. (If you use spelt flour, the baking time may be a bit longer).
- Turn the broiler on. Sprinkle about 2 tablespoons of brown sugar over the top of the tart and broil until the sugar is mostly melted. Make sure to watch it so the strawberries don’t burn. Cool, and sprinkle the chopped pistachios on top. Remove from pan to slice. This will keep in the refrigerator for a couple days.