These adorable, naturally-colored vegan sugar cookies are a “dessert” recipe entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Christina Perez. For baking, icing and dunking, she uses Almond Plus AlmondMilk from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Sugar Cookies
This recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For soy-free and dairy-free vegan sugar cookies, choose a dairy-free cream cheese alternative that is free of top allergens, such as Daiya, and use a dairy-free, soy-free margarine (Earth Balance makes a couple varieties).
For tree nut-free and dairy-free vegan sugar cookies, So Delicious Dairy Free also offers Coconut Milk Beverage that you can use in place of the AlmondMilk.
- 1 cup dairy-free margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- ¼ cup So Delicious Original or Vanilla Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ¼ cup dairy-free cream cheese alternative (such as Tofutti – see note in post above)
- Perfect Icing (see recipe below)
- 2 cups powdered confectioners' sugar
- 6 to 8 teaspoons So Delicious Dairy Free Original Almond Plus AlmondMilk
- 4 teaspoons light corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Assorted food coloring (I used tumeric to make my icing yellow and set some aside and mixed in cocoa powder for a dark brown)
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugar. Stir in the So Delicious Almond Milk, canola oil, and vanilla. Gradually add the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, and cream cheese alternative. You may have to use your hands at this point to finish the mixing.
- Form the dough into a long loaf and wrap in cellophane. Refrigerate for a couple hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF (175ºC). Grease the cookie sheets or use a non-stick foil.
- On a lightly floured surface (we taped down a sheet of non-stick foil to our countertop instead), roll out the dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place about 1 inch apart cookie on sheets.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until the bottoms and edges just start to get light brown. Remove from baking sheet and cool on wire racks.
- Once cool, ice with Perfect Icing and decorate as desired. Store in an airtight container.
- In medium bowl, stir together the confectioners' sugar and So Delicious Almond milk until smooth. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until icing is smooth and glossy. If icing is too thick, add more corn syrup.
- Add food coloring to desired intensity. Dip cookies and allow to dry overnight.