Sugar, salt, and a little heat – a magical combination as you will discover in this easy sweet and spicy popcorn recipe from the popcorn people.
We do all types of seasoning mixes for popcorn in our home (it’s good to keep a shaker on hand with the different mixes!), but this sweet and spicy popcorn is tops. It can easily be adjusted to taste, or you can make it a lunch box mix by adding fruit, nuts, chocolate chips or pretzel sticks.
This sweet and spicy popcorn recipe is naturally vegan, vegetarian, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. Just watch your add-ins and be sure to use a beet sugar or certified vegan cane sugar if you have strict vegan needs.
- 2 tablespoons sugar (for strict vegan, be sure to check your source)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 8 cups air-popped popcorn (about 16 cups)
- Cooking spray or 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- For the seasoning mix, stir all of the spices together in a small container with airtight lid.
- Place the popcorn in a serving bowl and spray lightly with cooking spray or drizzle with the coconut oil and toss to evenly coat.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of the seasoning mix over popcorn and toss to distribute evenly. Sprinkle on more, to taste, if desired.
- Store leftover seasoning mix for future use.