This delicious vegan sweet potato casserole is just like the classic recipe, but without eggs and dairy. And it’s marshmallow-free! The topping is a wonderful pecan-oat crumble, which we think tastes so much better.
This recipe also includes gluten-free and refined sugar-free options to address additional dietary needs at your next meal. If you’re having a small gathering, you can halve the recipe and bake it in an 8×8-inch pan, or you can enjoy the leftovers! These sweet potatoes are still wonderful when reheated.
This gluten-free and vegan sweet potato casserole recipe with photo was shared with us by Milkadamia.
Special Diet Notes: Sweet Potato Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
For a nut-free vegan sweet potato casserole, you can substitute another 1/2 cup oats for the pecans. You’ll also need to use a nut-free brand for the buttery spread and milk beverage.
- 8 cups peeled and chopped sweet potatoes (about 4 large)
- ½ cup chopped pecans (see post above for nut-free option)
- ½ cup brown sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned oats (certified gluten-free, if needed)
- ⅓ cup all-purpose flour or gluten-free all-purpose flour
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread, melted and divided (they used Milkadamia)
- ½ cup unsweetened vanilla dairy-free milk beverage (they used Milkadamia)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed or chia seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and grease a 9x13-inch casserole dish.
- Place the sweet potato chunks in a large saucepan and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and let cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for a few minutes.
- While the sweet potatoes cook, stir together the pecans, brown sugar, oats, and oat flour in a medium bowl. Add ¼ cup buttery spread and stir with a fork until crumbs form.
- Mash the cooked sweet potatoes. Add the milk beverage, remaining ¼ cup buttery spread, maple syrup, flax or chia seed, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Mix until combined.
- Spoon the sweet potato mixture into your prepared casserole dish and level it out. Evenly sprinkle the mashed sweet potatoes with the pecan topping.
- Bake uncovered for 40 to 45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.