Back when I wrote for a website called Paper Palate, a blogger named Brilynn Ferguson of Jumbo Empanadas shared this recipe for tart cherry tartlets with us. Brilynn liked the recipe as is, but she also thought it was fun to tinker with. For a more indulgent single-serve dessert, she says to use a chocolate pie crust. And we think a drizzle of dairy-free chocolate sauce would be delicious. She also liked these tartlets with a sprinkling of sliced almonds, but we have a nut-free option, too.
Photo by indigolotos – in prepared crusts and without the icing. But we recommend the icing if you have time!
Special Diet Notes: Tart Cherry Tartlets
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 (15-ounce) package dairy-free refrigerated pie crusts (or homemade vegan pie crust; use gluten-free, if needed))
- 1 (14-ounce) can red tart cherries
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cherry flavored brandy
- 1 cup powdered confectioners’ sugar
- 1½ tablespoons unsweetened dairy-free milk beverage
- ½ teaspoon almond extract (can sub vanilla extract)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF.
- Lightly flour a work surface and roll out the crusts.
- Use a 2-1/2 inch round cutter to cut 12 circles from each pie crust.
- Line each cup of a 24-cup miniature muffin pan with the prepared crusts. Prick the bottom of each crust with a fork.
- Bake for 5 minutes.
- Drain the cherries, reserving ½ cup of the juice.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together the sugar and cornstarch. Gradually add the reserved cherry juice and brandy, whisking until smooth. Bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is clear and thickened. Remove it from heat and stir in the cherries.
- Evenly divide the cherry mixture between the par-baked crusts.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove the tartlets to a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners’ sugar, milk beverage and extract, whisking until smooth.
- Drizzle the icing on top of each tartlet.