This recipe for vegan vichyssoise is a “savory” entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest, created and submitted by Tina Coopman. To qualify, the recipe contains 8 ingredients or less, but includes Culinary Coconut Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
Like the traditional soup recipe, this vegan vichyssoise is intended to be served cold. But as Tina points out, “this soup is also good as a hot soup if you just can’t wait for it to chill.”
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegan Vichyssoise
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Just be sure to select the margarine and vegetable stock to suit your dietary needs.
- 3 leeks
- 2 tablespoons dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance soy-free)
- 2 cups chopped potatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1½ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste
- Chives, for garnish
- Trim off the green tops of the leeks and slice lengthwise. Wash leeks making sue to clean in between the layers and slice thinly, discarding ends.
- In a saucepan over medium low heat melt the margarine. Add the leeks and cook, stirring frequently for about 10 minutes or until leeks have become tender.
- Add potatoes and stock, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover pot, simmering for 30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Allow to cool a bit and puree in a vitamix or blender.
- Add milk, salt, and pepper and blend to mix.
- Allow soup to chill before serving. Top with chopped or whole chives.