How about one more light and fresh fall recipe for the day? These easy vegetarian tostadas are made from simple baked tortillas topped with refried beans and a sweet, crunchy, spicy, creamy, and zesty grape salsa!
To keep it healthy, the tortillas are simply misted with oil and baked to create the crispy base of these vegetarian tostadas. Wholesome but premade refried beans are the dairy-free “sauce” that holds everything in place and adds both protein and calcium. Finally, what makes these vegetarian tostadas truly unique is that fresh grape salsa. Two types of sweet, juicy grapes are used (mostly for color contrast – both are nutritious!), and are complimented with rich avocado, crispy bites of jicama, lime for brightness, and of course jalapeno for a little kick.
Grapes are available now through January and offer a great antioxidant punch as the cold season starts to emerge. If possible, purchase organic for these vegetarian tostadas as grapes can be a high pesticide fruit.
Special Diet Notes: Vegetarian Tostadas with Fresh Grape Salsa
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
The recipe and photo in this post were shared with us by California Grapes.
- 8 handmade-style corn tortillas
- Cooking spray, as needed
- 1 cup black seedless California grapes, chopped
- 1 cup red seedless California grapes, chopped
- 1 cup chopped jicama (about ½ medium jicama)
- 1 avocado, diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (15-ounce) can vegetarian refried beans, warmed
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and mist with cooking spray. Bake for 5 minutes, flip and bake an additional 3 to 5 minutes, until crisp.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the grapes, jicama, avocado, cilantro, jalapeno, zest, juice and salt.
- Spread the beans on the baked tortillas and top them evenly with the salsa mixture.