This Veggie White Pizza was an official entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free Recipe Contest!
Recipe By: Pam Georges
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free margarine
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour (all-purpose or gluten-free all-purpose)
- ½ cup unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- 1 small finely minced garlic clove, optional
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano, or more to taste
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- White or black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup vegan parmesan (such as Go Veggie! brand)
- 1 12" pizza crust of your choosing (wheat or gluten-free), unbaked, placed on an oiled pizza pan.
- Vegetables: asparagus, mushrooms, black/green olives, onions, green peppers, etc.
- Optional: vegan meat substitutes, such as bacon or ham
- Shredded vegan mozzarella cheese (such as Daiya)
- Preheat oven to 475°F.
- In a small saucepan, melt margarine. Add the flour and stir until mixed, making certain to scrape all the flour/butter mixture from the bottom-sides of the pan.
- Very slowly add the coconut milk beverage, whisking it into the flour/butter. Stir in the garlic (if using), oregano, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a slow boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often, until it thickens. Stir in the vegan parmesan. Remove from the heat.
- Evenly spread the white sauce over the unbaked pizza crust.
- Top with your favorite vegetables. (I have used asparagus, black olives, mushrooms, onions)
- Top with any vegetarian meat substitute, if using, such as bacon or ham.
- Sprinkle mozzarella over the entire pizza (a lot or a little, this is your pizza)
- Place on the middle shelf of a preheated oven and bake for about 15-18 minutes to brown the bottom.
- Move it to the top shelf for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese begins to brown.
- When done, remove pizza from the pan onto a cutting board. Slice and enjoy hot.
This pizza tastes just as good the next day, heated in the oven.