This warm sausage dressing is such a comforting side that you may find yourself craving it long after the holidays have wrapped up. It’s rich with complimentary, earthy flavors that beg to be tossed with a hearty rice, like brown or red, in my opinion.
This sausage dressing recipe was shared with us by Success Rice, to showcase how convenient their quick-cooking rice can be during the holidays. Indeed, they’re tempting with the brown rice, which can take what seems like so long to cook, especially on ravenous weeknights!
Some other quick holiday tips from those speedy rice makers:
- Build recipes around staples you already have on hand to shave off some grocery shopping time. To create a variety of dishes for any celebration, keep a ready stash of basic items like rice, pasta, potatoes, and an assortment of herbs and spices.
- Once you have a menu in mind, take inventory of your kitchen tools to ensure you have everything you need and that it’s in good working order. Review your recipes and preparation instructions ahead of time to prevent surprises on the big day, when things are already heating up in the kitchen.
- Save time slicing, dicing and chopping by using frozen or store-prepared fruits and vegetables. Cutting preparation time will leave you more time to focus on tending to another dish, or take a few minutes for yourself before guests arrive.
Special Diet Notes: Walnut, Apple and Sausage Dressing
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 2 cups cooked rice (such as 1 bag Success® White or Brown Rice)
- 1 tart green apple, cored and chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 4 ounces bulk dairy-free turkey sausage (see post above for vegan option)
- ¾ cup chopped onions
- ½ cup chopped fresh celery
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- ¼ cup raisins
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon dried sage
- ⅓ cup low sodium chicken broth
- ¼ cup honey
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Combine the apple and lemon juice in a large bowl stirring lightly to coat the apples.
- Spray a large skillet with nonstick cooking spray or coat lightly with oil, and heat over medium heat. Crumble the sausage into prepared skillet and cook until browned, stirring occasionally. Add the onions, celery, walnuts, and raisins and cook until the vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Add the apple mixture to the skillet along with the salt, pepper, and sage. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked rice, broth, and honey and heat thoroughly, stirring constantly.